Thursday, April 10, 2014

Lenten Gospel Reflections: 13 April 2014 ~ Passion/Palm Sunday



Behold, the hour is at hand...” ~Matthew 26:45

During the last 24 hours of his physical life on earth Jesus had many experiences and he encountered many different people. Likewise we too will meet a lot of people and do a lot of things this coming week.

As we enter Holy Week ask yourself, “Where will I meet Christ this week? Will I encounter Christ at a quiet reflective dinner with friends, or will I meet him when a close friend or coworker betrays my trust? Perhaps I will meet Christ while praying in a quiet garden, or some other contemplative place; or perhaps when I am confronted by angry, judgmental people. 

Will I encounter Christ when I am judged by others; because of my race, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation, opinions, physical appearance or even the way I dress. Will I realize Christ’s presence whether people are cheering me or jeering me. Will I meet Christ in the friend who tells me what I don’t want to hear, but need to hear? Or, will I hope to find Christ in the person who only tells me what I want to hear for their own personal benefit.

Will I find him when I am with my family and friends or when I am abandoned by all of them?

At the end of the week will I drag my cross laden with problems, resentments, disappointments, failures,        personal tragedies, shame and unhappiness to the top of a hill finding the only person there willing to help is Christ? In that encounter, he will smile and say, “Let me take that from you. I can handle it”.

Blessed Holy Week.


© 2011 James E. Carper.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment